What is a Lot Development Plan (LDP)/Site Plan?
A lot development plan (LDP) is a sketch depicting the proposed development for a particular lot. It is prepared by a certified engineer for the purposes of building permit application.

A lot development plan shows:

  • Lot boundaries
  • Lot dimensions
  • Proposed building location/dimensions
  • Proposed driveway location and size
  • Proposed tree
  • Location and nature of easements affecting the lot
  • Lot grading
  • Approximate location of swales
  • Additional lot information specific to your lot (ex. ‘no cut zones’)

A copy of your LDP will be emailed to you prior to closing. If you have any questions please contact Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300

Proposed Tree
As per Municipal requirements Doug Tarry Ltd. is required to plant a ‘street tree’ on each lot. Tree species are determined by the Municipality at the time of Subdivision approval and are matched to the specific site conditions to ensure success of the tree. They are an important landscape feature of the neighbourhood and the City as a whole; homeowner support is imperative to the success of the tree.

Homeowners are required to water and care for trees planted in the boulevard of their lot. Care instructions will be distributed to homeowners prior to the installation of the trees. Any questions or concerns regarding street trees should be directed to Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300

A “no cut zone” is an area that the developer/Municipality/Conservation Authority wishes to keep natural. Permission should be obtained from the developer when wishing to remove trees or vegetation. Further information may be obtained by calling Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300.

I have an easement on my property, what does that mean?
The purpose of the easement is to protect buried infrastructure which has been installed on a portion of your property (i.e. Storm Sewer). This easement gives legal access to Municipal officials to enter onto the land for the purposes of inspection/maintenance. Sheds, pools, decks, fencing or any means of blocking or altering the easement may not be permitted.

Further information may be obtained by calling the Building Department or Environmental Services.

I have a swale on my property, what is it for?
A swale is a low tract of land designed to manage water runoff, filter pollutants and increase rainwater infiltration. The swale is designed to capture water and if necessary, direct it toward a point of outlet – generally a catch basin. Blocking or altering a swale in any way is not permitted. Further information may be obtained by calling Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300

Every lot has a swale located somewhere on the property. The severity and location of the swale will depend on the lot.

What is a Final Grading Certificate (FGC)?
A final grading certificate (FGC) is issued following completion of final grading and sodding. Revisions are made to the LDP following site inspection and surveying by a qualified individual; final review is completed by a certified engineer. The resulting sketch shows the same information as the LDP with the addition of the ‘as constructed grades’ measured during the site inspection. FGC are submitted to the Municipality for review to ensure general conformance with the subdivision grading plan. If you would like a copy of the Final Grading Certificate for your lot, please contact the Building Department at the Municipality.

What is a Building Lot and Location Survey?
A Building Lot and Location Survey (also known as the Real Property Survey or BLS) shows the as-built location of the structures constructed. It is prepared by a Surveyor following foundation completion. Your BLS should be referenced when determining the location of exterior structure such as fences. Two copies of the real property survey are included in your closing documents.

Why are there no survey pegs on my lot?
Survey markings may no longer be visible after the lot is graded and landscaped. Please do not use wooden stakes as evidence of lot lines. Building lot and location survey (mentioned above) may be helpful; alternatively, a surveyor can accurately mark out your lot lines. Kim Husted Surveying (519) 842-3638

When will the Builder complete the grading, sodding and any unfinished exterior work?
Exterior works are subject to the construction schedule and seasonal availability, Doug Tarry Homes strives to complete these works within the guidelines prescribed by the Tarion New Home Warranty. Contact Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300 for further information. Municipal consent to occupy the home will be granted as soon as safety and basic service requirements are met, however, this does not guarantee that the home will be completed to the homeowner’s satisfaction.

When can I construct a fence, pool, patio, shed, or deck on my property?
All homeowners must contact Doug Tarry Homes prior to installing fencing, pools, and other landscape work as this work may alter the grading on your property. Builders and Subdividers can require that homeowners dismantle fences, decks, sheds, etc. if necessary to complete their grading and drainage works. Do not landscape, erect fencing, decks or sheds or install a pool without receiving the necessary approvals. Further information may be obtained by calling Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300

What are Subdivision Restricted Covenants?
In some instances a Subdivider will register on the title of new Subdivision lands Restricted Covenants dealing with issues relating to parking, fencing, landscaping etc. in the Subdivision. These Restricted Covenants are between the Subdivider and property owners. The Municipality has no involvement. These should be discussed with a Solicitor.

Can I widen my driveway and who should I contact?
Any requests for a change to the entrance width must be obtained from the Municipality. Further information may be obtained by calling Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300

What is ‘over dig’ and why is it required?
Sometime excavating crews need to ‘over dig’ i.e. dig past the limits of what will be the foundation; this is required to stabilize the sub-base soil and to allow placement of footings. The extent of over dig depends on the nature of the soil – in some instances the over dig reaches the next foundation.

Homeowners may not be permitted to install fencing or landscaping along the side yard of their property while the adjacent lot remains vacant. Further information may be obtained by calling Doug Tarry Homes – Land Development – 519-631-9300

Do I need a building permit for a shed, deck, fence, pool, to finish my basement, or to install an air conditioner?
To determine if you require a Building Permit, please contact the Building Department. To ensure compliance with the Municipality‘s Zoning By-law regarding setbacks from property lines, size etc. **Always call the local utilities to locate underground services prior to digging.**

I want to install a pool on my property. How do I proceed?
You should review your Agreement of Purchase and Sale and Restrictive Covenants. The installation of a pool may result in changes to the grading or drainage; please note: all change to grading or drainage must be approved by Doug Tarry Homes. Authorization from the Municipality is required.

What are the Subdivider‘s responsibilities?
Final acceptance and/or assumption of a Subdivision occurs when the Municipality assumes responsibility for the maintenance of all municipal services from the Subdivider. This typically occurs within three to six years after the registration of the Subdivision, or when all the Subdivider‘s requirements have been fulfilled. Until this happens, the Subdivider is responsible for all municipal and regional services and maintenance of the streets with the exception of snow clearance and garbage pickup. Unassumed roads are open to the public and subject to conventional rules of the road under the Highway Traffic Act including parking regulation.


We chose Doug Tarry Limited as the builder for our custom home because of their reputation for quality workmanship. Having our new home built at the same location as our current home we were able to witness first-hand the skill, quality, and pride of workmanship that each tradesman working on our home put into their work. We have had so many positive comments on the design and layout of our home, as well as the quality of the products used within the complete design. We cannot be happier with the finished product, and we highly recommend Doug Tarry Limited to anyone thinking of building a home.

Lisa and David

Our experience dealing with Doug Tarry Homes, from the moment we were greeted at the model home, to our closing date when we picked up our keys was a positive one! The decision to build with Tarry’s was easy because of their long standing reputation for quality, and a commitment to the environment. What was a bonus was the service orientation of all their staff. Questions and concerns were addressed quickly, the designer thoughtfully guided us through all our decorating selections, and all staff were courteous, friendly and genuinely cared. Without hesitation we would recommend building with DTL!

Rebecca and Gary

We just wanted to let Mr. Tarry know that our experience with every single member of his team has been nothing but amazing.  We started looking for a new home 2 years ago and spoke to Amanda Joiner here in Strathroy at the open house.  We left her office that day 2 years ago and we knew DTH was a perfect company for us to trust with our future. Amanda made us feel  comfortable and she was very helpful in every step of the way.  We can’t say enough good things about her.  We bought one of your quick possession homes on Rushby St and could not be happier.  Jason took us through the house for our final inspection, and again he was amazing.  So friendly and informative.  Took his time going over everything and explaining it all and answering questions.  We also met Joe, I believe he is the site supervisor.  Joe, again so friendly and goes out of his way to make sure we where happy. Daryl and Laurie in your customer care centre are phenomenal.  They have been nothing short of amazing.  I’m sure you probably realize that you have an amazing team working for you but sometimes when you hear it from an outsider it means a little more.  So we applaud you Mr. Tarry for assembling such a great group of people to represent DTH.  They are doing an amazing job for you and treating all of your customers like they are family and we appreciate it.  Thank you to all at DTH for making our experience nothing but AMAZING.


We loved the quality and building experience that we had with Doug Tarry Homes so much that we did it twice! From the quality of the construction, to the personalized help in making selections, we couldn’t have asked for more. Even after we took possession the follow up and communication to ensure that we were happy with our new home was thorough. We would definitely build with Doug Tarry homes again!

Ryan and Tara

Thank you Doug Tarry Homes for our wonderful home. Throughout the planning and building stages we found everyone we dealt with to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Any concerns or issues were promptly dealt with in a professional manner. The quality of our home, both inside and outside, is exceptional. (Even after one year we haven’t found a nail pop!) You go the extra mile and it shows. We would not hesitate to recommend Doug Tarry Homes to anyone.

Heather and Gary

I know that corners will not be cut, and the home will be built to last a lifetime

A Happy Home Owner

This was our first time building a home. Doug Tarry Ltd made the experience enjoyable and so easy. Each member of the company was very approachable and easy to talk to. They took us step-by-step through the process of building a home and making our dreams come true. Thank you to the Doug Tarry group.

Jinder and Amy

Our expectations of a new is exceeded by Doug Tarry (design-quality construction and workmanship) and an exceptional support staff

Happy Home Owner

Confidence in a Doug Tarry home knowing him, and his commitment-I don’t have to do much, he’s thought of it all!!

Another Happy Home Owner

Great experience through every stage of the process. Very knowledgeable and organized. Confident we are receiving a very high-quality home. Thanks DT Homes.

Happy Doug Tarry Home Owner

My husband and I are retired seniors with very specific needs in mind for our retirement home. We found these and more in a Doug Tarry home in St. Thomas. From a well-designed floor plan to an exceptionally well-built house, we couldn’t be more pleased with our decision. Before, during and after the construction phase, the Tarry staff were extremely efficient and always ready to help with advice and recommendations. We’re very happy and comfortable in our new house. Well done Doug Tarry Homes!

Don & Kathy

I’m now living in my second Doug Tarry built home. When I bought my first home, I wasn’t thinking about resale, but being able to advertise a “Doug Tarry built home” really gave me a selling advantage.

This current home is actually my fifth new home I’ve lived in. I wouldn’t hesitate to build again with Doug Tarry. The standards for the home – insulation, framing, kitchen, plumbing, etc – are very high compared with other builders. This allowed me to put some additional funds into some extras, such as recessed lighting and hardwood flooring. The Doug Tarry group work very much as a team, from the home plan design, interior selections to sod. You are very much supported in the entire building process, and the follow-up for any issues after you move in is excellent.


This home is everything we dreamed it would be. Fits our family’s needs perfectly.

Satisfied Doug Tarry Home Owner

Living in Nashville TN for just shy of 3 decades I decided to return to my hometown of St Thomas to semi retire.  I had never considered building a home especially with living at such a distance during a build.  Upon meeting Michelle at the showhouse in Miller’s Pond, visiting the décor centre with amazing choices and learning more about the quality and energy efficiency of Doug Tarry homes I jumped in with both feet during a week visit.  I purchased the lot, set my design choices in motion and left to wrap things up in Nashville leaving my build in the capable hands of Doug and his teams.  I opted for the Glenwood and from the day I moved in I haven’t had one moment of regret.  I’m so happy with every aspect of my home, the quality of the build and fabulous customer service. I love my new neighbourhood and have made some great friends.  Thank you for making my move a much smoother transition than I could hope for. 


We were into our new house yesterday! What a wonderful surprise to see the welcome gift basket!! We have been so impressed all along with Doug Tarry homes, from the people (you!), the quality of the house, the design, the materials, the basement, the air and temperature of the house, everything!! Liam used to build houses and he has been blown away by everything we’ve seen and experienced with Doug Tarry homes. He’s not easily impressed either and has a keen critical eye and he is over the top happy with everything, as am I. So a big thank you Michele, for everything. You’ve been so patient with us right from the beginning, when we first showed up over a year ago when we first started looking at the area in St Thomas.

Trish and Liam

Overall the home purchase went exceptionally well. We are pleased with the home and do not have any complaints. If there were any small things that we were unhappy with the staff at Doug Tarry (both office and tradesfolks) were always polite, quick at getting back to us and very knowledgeable.

Gord and Karen

We have finally moved in over the weekend and are still settling in. I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to Doug Tarry Homes and especially you for helping us out and guiding us throughout the entire process.

We greatly appreciate all your sincere efforts in helping us build our dream home. On behalf of our family, thank you once again and I look forward to seeing you around!


Patty and I have purchased 4-new homes over the course of our evolving status; from raising two children to being empty-nesters. Without a doubt, Doug Tarry Homes has been ‘far and a way’ the most professional builder that we have had the pleasure to deal with. We’ve been very impressed with the quality and the attention to details with our home. The most obvious difference has been the professionalism of the Doug Tarry personnel. Their help and assistance through the various stages of the construction to the final delivery and accommodation with our move-in requirements was outstanding. The differences with Doug Tarry Homes continued throughout the immediate 12-month period after our move-in date by completing the scheduled follow-up items on a timely basis. I only wish that the customer satisfaction formula used by Doug Tarry Homes was utilized by other business enterprises.

Don and Pat

I knew our new house was energy efficient but not that much! At the time of construction, we decided to insulate the basement floor instead of me getting a cold storage cellar. We have a very efficient furnace with an ERV unit. It wasn’t that cold in December, but even with all the kids home for 2-3 weeks over Christmas, our gas bill was just under $40! Love it.

Shout out to Doug Tarry Homes for being a leader in the new home industry for wonderful construction and environmental consciousness.

Satisfied Customer

I love my new semi home!  The transition from selling my family home to 3 Benjamin has been very pleasant and I owe that to the people I have come in contact with, especially Michele, Jason, Daryl, Lori and Elaine.  Your CoConstruct programme is very helpful and efficient.  Anything that needed to be addressed has had followup. 


After purchasing many new builders homes, the Doug Tarry experience was by far the most enjoyable. With the team’s recommendations, ideas and perfectionism, we ended up with a home that far surpasses any of our expectations. When we woke up after the first night in our new home, we both looked at each other and said “this feels like home”. We have never had that feeling after the first night in any of our previous homes. After 6 months we still at times say to each other ” Man I love this house”. Great work Doug and crew.

Borot & Petra

As a family purchasing a new home, quality, comfort, energy efficiency & price were important to us. Doug Tarry Ltd. met and exceeded these needs.

Wayne, Angela & family